Friday, May 22, 2009

Vase of Flowers

One day this week I was in Hobby Lobby and I saw a kit by Jane Seymour called Painting with Jane. They had a watercolor kit and a drawing kit and I bought the watercolor one (it was on clearance). Yesterday during my lunch break I tried to use some of her techniques for painting a vase of flowers in watercolor. I have a bad habit of comparing myself to others' artwork. Of course mine will never be as good as hers or anyone else's. Maybe I shouldn't say "as good" and just say that it's not the same. I need to stop criticizing myself in that way. I did use her instructions that are on the DVD that is included in the kit. It was fun, but now that I can really see it, it just looks sort of messy in a way. There I go criticizing again. But, this time I'm really criticizing the technique. I guess I've always liked things nice and neat, and with this technique you just sort of haphazardly paint and then go back with a liner pen and draw in details. I guess I really like coloring inside the lines. I'm used to drawing the details in pencil first and then coloring in and then going back with a marker and outlining the details. I guess art is in the eye of the beholder and everyone has their own technique. There is really no right or wrong when it comes to art. I'm going to try to make another painting today. This is a great learning tool, plus included in the kit was a nice watercolor case with about 10 watercolors in it that is very portable. Can be taken anywhere, just put it in your pocket or bag and go.

1 comment:

  1. Sharon, I think you did beautifully! Some of the members of my website forum have tried the kit too, and have posted their own creations. I personally think these kits really do bring out hidden talents

    ReplyDelete